AUTHOR: Marty, a.k.a. canape TITLE: There will be rainbows DATE: 3/20/2009 08:08:00 PM ----- BODY:
I finally watched The Business of Being Born. I have both been looking forward to it and avoiding it all at the same time. I was pregnant with Little Bird when it was in theaters around here, and I wasn't brave enough to go and see it. I knew the basic message was in the over medicalization of birth, and I really wanted to stay with my OB. For some reason, I thought that she was wonderful and would make rainbows appear at Bird's birth.

If she had been at Bird's birth, then maybe she would have. Since she wasn't, we'll never know.

Instead, Dr. Jackass attended Bird's birth.

There is one thing I will not do, and that is question the way Bird came into this world. He and I got him here just like he needed to arrive.

However, there are things I don't have to do again, and won't be doing again. They are as follows:
There are other options. I am capable of birthing my babies. I will make choices out of confidence and not fear next time. I will not second guess my ability to nurse my babies.

I will be strong, prepared, and accepting. My baby and I will make our own rainbows.

Now, I just need to stay pregnant.

Labels: , , ,

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Stella DATE:Friday, March 20, 2009 at 10:22:00 PM EDT Marty,
This line:
"There is one thing I will not do, and that is question the way Bird came into this world. He and I got him here just like he needed to arrive." Was perfect to me.

I had so many expectations and ideas both before and during my birth experiences about how I wanted things to go and be and I had to let go of each and every one of them.

Our children came into being exactly as they were meant to and you put it perfectly! Thank you

I CANNOT believe he rolled his eyes at you. I would taken my spread eagled feet slammed them into the sides of his stupid little head! ;) ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Magpie DATE:Saturday, March 21, 2009 at 10:05:00 PM EDT I saw that movie not so long ago - it made me sad, in the way it made me revisit my rather awful birth experience. It's a good movie, I think, full of good information that ought to be better disseminated.

I hope that you stay pregnant next time. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Convertible Girl DATE:Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 12:34:00 PM EDT I need to follow your advice and not question the way my children came into this world. C-section was definitely not what I envisioned, but it happened (twice). And even though I know I should just be happy with healthy babies (and healthy mommy), I still struggle with the memory of birth as surgery.

Good for you for accepting what happened and for taking the power to change things for next time. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Bubblewench DATE:Monday, March 23, 2009 at 8:00:00 AM EDT I'm routing for you honey!

I would have punched Dr. Jackass in the face, or at least unleased the dogs on him. Jerk. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous @sweetbabboo DATE:Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 7:58:00 PM EDT I love your take on it. When I saw it I remember being outraged about what I didn't have with Linus's birth. But when I think back, most of it was pretty damn pleasant despite being strapped to a bed. I know that IF I have another child there are some things I might want to try to do different but being high-risk kind of limits the options. And really, it was those doctors who helped me to stay pregnant and give birth to my son and therefore I shouldn't be using my hindsight to try to question the details. He is here, he is perfect and healthy, and honestly I don't really give a damn about how he arrived.

Plus, I have to give mad props to the L&D nurses at Duke. One of mine actually stood up to the doctor and told him that I had a birth plan and we would be following it to the best of our ability. I could have kissed her.

Here's hoping that your baby and rainbows happen soon.

-Abby ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous the new girl DATE:Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 8:54:00 PM EDT I have never understood the thing about men feeling called to be ob/gyns. I know that is a GROSS GENERALIZATION and it's politically incorrect and I'm SORRY if someone's dad/brother/husband/whatever is an ob but I just never wanted a MAN all up in that business.

I loved this post, though, and my rant above is pretty much unrelated. The eye-rolling got me going, though. ----- --------