AUTHOR: Marty, a.k.a. canape TITLE: Had to change the title of this one DATE: 5/16/2008 02:05:00 PM ----- BODY:
This summer, we will head to the beach with Whymommy and her family. For a celebration. Not a goodbye. I cannot put into words how thankful I am for that.

Susan has always been my "see it from a different perspective" friend. The friend who makes me think outside of my box.

In high school, my box was very very tiny, so that wasn't a hard thing. One foot in either direction had me reeling outside of my box. She was very patient with my tiny little private school mind.

Over the years, we have talked, traveled, cried (but not much because we are oh so strong women who really need to get more comfortable with a tissue), laughed, and learned together. She lasted in the learning part far past I did. I bored easily with school, and she tackled it with a vengeance.

She was on the same trip to Mexico which generated the most embarrassing story of my entire life. And she still loves me. I don't know why.

She read my angst filled, totally rhyming poetry in high school. And she still loves me.

She listened to my angst filled, I'll never be Debbie Gibson or Amy Grant, songs in high school. Even sang the harmony. And she still loves me.

She stood up for me at my first wedding even when she knew it was a mistake. Even when her grandmother had just passed away. Even when the dress I made her wear was distinctively pink. And flowy.

She told me the truth about those first weeks of motherhood. She called to check on me, not just the baby. She coaxed me through the darkest days with wisdom and compassion. And she still loves me.

Blogging is funny sometimes. I sat down to write an entirely different post. A post about getting Bird prepared to go to the beach with little hats and swim trunks. And yet, when I let my fingers go, freely typing without thinking (which gets me into trouble more times than not), this is what appeared.

After almost a year of holding my breath and praying for a miracle, here we are planning to meet up at the beach. To celebrate.

It's clear to me that she is worth celebrating. It's clear that I'm lucky to have her as my friend.

It needs to be said that I am so thankful for her treatment and results.

So very very thankful.

Labels: , , ,

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Candygirlflies DATE:Friday, May 16, 2008 at 5:32:00 PM EDT What a beautiful post, Canape. Just beautiful.

I'll be thinking about you at the beach next week, and look forward to all the happy details! What a wonderful way to celebrate--know that I'm with you in my heart!

You and WM have a very special friendship... I wish that everyone could be so lucky, to find that sort of "kindred spirit" in another person!

Lots of love to you all--

xoxo CGF ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Susie DATE:Friday, May 16, 2008 at 8:28:00 PM EDT And thank you for leading me to Susan's blog - which I love and read daily. Two years ago, my best friend battled, almost lost, and beat a terrible cancer diagnosis. I felt so helpless and far away - I totally identified with your side of her story. I am so glad you will be celebrating at the beach together!
Enjoy! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous whymommy DATE:Friday, May 16, 2008 at 8:58:00 PM EDT Hey, babe. Of course I still love you! And know what? There was more than one embarrassing story to come out of that Mexico trip. :-)

But hey, once you've had scorpions crawl on you, you're friends for life, right? ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Ally DATE:Friday, May 16, 2008 at 9:39:00 PM EDT I am thankful, too, for Canape's successful treatment, and for the chance to get to know her, and you. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous PunditMom DATE:Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 11:54:00 AM EDT That is so wonderful! Hopefully, no scorpions! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Tiffany DATE:Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 2:00:00 PM EDT What a wonderful post. I am thankful you get to celebrate without even knowing her! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Michelle Lynn DATE:Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 8:48:00 PM EDT Wonderful post, wonderful thing to celebrate. I hope you have a spectacular trip! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Bubblewench DATE:Monday, May 19, 2008 at 6:28:00 AM EDT Totally awesome post.. Yes, do celebrate! You both deserve it. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Jessica @ A Bushel and a Peck DATE:Monday, May 19, 2008 at 10:26:00 AM EDT That is a lovely tribute to a great friend...have a blast at the beach!!! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Jessica DATE:Monday, May 19, 2008 at 7:40:00 PM EDT you two are so lucky to have one another... Have a WONDERFUL time. :) ----- --------