AUTHOR: Marty, a.k.a. canape
TITLE: Tips for BlogHer '09 from someone not going
DATE: 7/22/2009 02:38:00 PM
This year, I'm sitting out BlogHer. It doesn't have anything to do with the conference - BlogHer is terrific. It's also terrifically expensive, and with me not working anymore, it's just not practical for me to spend the money on it.
With that disclaimer out of the way, I present, "How I Would Do BlogHer '09."
1. Even though you are there in person, stay online. You will likely miss something if you aren't checking Twitter. And use your hashtag #blogher09. Because some of us will be living vicariously through you, you know.
2. You are responsible for your own fun. Don't wait to be invited. Sit down at a table and meet people. Show up at a party and have a good time. Introduce yourself to the person next to you in a session. Don't wait on someone else. You do it.
3. Try to mingle. Even if you have a group of friends there, pick a meal to share with someone you don't know or someone you wanted to meet.
4. It's not about the stuff. The amount of product thrust at you can be overwhelming. Take what you want - what you can use, and leave the rest. You probably can't fit it all in your luggage anyway.
5. Don't take it personally. Any of it.
6. Some, okay, a lot of bloggers suck at small talk. Why else do we take to the written word? We can edit, mull, contemplate, and craft our words. All things you can't do at a cocktail party. When the conversation lulls with your newly made blogger buddy? Ask them about their kids. Or their pets. Or their roommate. There are always plenty of things to talk about if you are asking questions of the other person.
7. People are not their blogs. You only get a small glimpse of what they choose to share in their writing. Just because you've read their blog for three years doesn't mean you really know them. Take some time in person to meet them as a person and not a blog.
8. Wear cute shoes. Okay, so that's shallow, but I do recommend it. Just ask Amie, my roomie in '07. I think I packed a pair of shoes or boots for every hour of the day.
9. Don't feel like you have to go to everything. You don't. Sit something out and have a cup of coffee with a friend. An old one or a new one.
10. If something does cheeve you, don't write a blog post about it. Suck it up and review #5.
I hope y'all have a fabulous time. There is a huge part of me that wishes I could be there, and I will miss seeing you. There is also part of me, however, that is enjoying just watching y'all all scurry about and not having to be scurrying myself.
If you will excuse me, I have some more not preparing for BlogHer '09 to be doing.
Labels: Blogging Babes, Blogher
DATE:Wednesday, July 22, 2009 at 3:24:00 PM EDT
These are great tips! I definitely agree with everything you said.
I would add a couple more:
If you've got curly hair, bring some de-frizzing product. Chicago is brutal on the hair.
Make sure your shoes are comfy and your laptop bag/purse is not too heavy to carry around -- there can be a lot of walking from meetings to parties to dinners.
Don't pack your ratty or skimpy pajamas (unless you don't care) -- you may end up visiting at all hours of the day and night. :-)
I'm not going this year either -- but like you I will be living vicariously through those who will be writing (and tweeting) about it.
DATE:Wednesday, July 22, 2009 at 7:41:00 PM EDT
great tips. wish i was going, too. but "terrifically expensive" is a good summation.
also, i'm a blog dropout.
DATE:Wednesday, July 22, 2009 at 9:54:00 PM EDT
Great tips! This is my first time going, and I'm a little nervous -- not knowing what to expect. THANK YOU!
DATE:Wednesday, July 22, 2009 at 10:11:00 PM EDT
Okay, then. Time to pack another pair of shoes.
DATE:Thursday, July 23, 2009 at 6:42:00 PM EDT
I wish I was going as well but like you said it's "terrifically expensive"
AUTHOR: Erin Bassett
DATE:Thursday, July 23, 2009 at 11:03:00 PM EDT
Just stopping by from BlogHer@Home. Totally great tips!!
DATE:Saturday, July 25, 2009 at 4:51:00 PM EDT
This is a great list! Some obvious, others not so much so (shoes? Who knew...starting my shopping for next year now!). Thanks for posting.
DATE:Saturday, July 25, 2009 at 4:58:00 PM EDT
I miss you!
DATE:Saturday, July 25, 2009 at 5:47:00 PM EDT
Great list. I am definitely going to have to try to remember these for when I (hopefully) go next year. Thanks!
DATE:Saturday, July 25, 2009 at 6:13:00 PM EDT
Great tips! I live locally to NYC so I won't be staying over or using luggage next year, but I can imagine carrying tons of swag on the subway & bus will not be fun.
I think the hardest part always is sitting down with strangers and making conversation. You're right - bloggers write for a reason - but it is SO worth it. I can't wait for BlogHer '10.
AUTHOR: Nickie @nsmith729
DATE:Saturday, July 25, 2009 at 8:48:00 PM EDT
Great tips! I'm going to keep a mental note of those for BlogHer '10, which I plan to attend. With bells on. Heh. ;)