AUTHOR: Marty, a.k.a. canape TITLE: The house hunting continues DATE: 8/16/2008 11:06:00 PM ----- BODY:









Holy crap. Kevin showed me this house tonight. I didn't want to look at the pictures, but we did. It turned out not to disappoint, earning it's own blog post in the series of incredibly bad houses for sale.









Here's the kitchen. The cabinets are probably older than me, but thank goodness they put in granite countertops and cheap appliances with some stainless on them. Now? It's a gourmet kitchen. Right.









Here is the room where you pile up all of your crap. Why? Why would you take a picture of this room and think that it would help you sell your house?









Ah, an extra bedroom. If you are a bird.









But best of all? That is a DISCO BALL in the cubby next to the fireplace. Most people would put firewood in that cubby. But not this house. This house comes with a disco ball in the cubby.

Someone had better snatch this one up quickly. It's a catch.

Labels:

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Stella DATE:Saturday, August 16, 2008 at 11:30:00 PM EDT If that brick around the disco ball were painted in psychedelic colors so that my black light would make them glow when I turned off the lights, I'd be ALL OVER that house! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Magpie DATE:Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 8:57:00 AM EDT That wins a prize. Absolutely stunning. I can't believe you don't want a house with a disco ball in a nook. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Susie DATE:Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 12:11:00 PM EDT I would have to ask if the disco ball conveys - Now I know what to do with my 1970's family room. And at least those appliances aren't harvest gold, like mine. By the way, there's a little gift waiting for you over at my place. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Michelle Lynn DATE:Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 7:53:00 PM EDT WHAT??!?!?! That cubby isn't for holding disco balls? Crap. Now where am I gonna put mine? ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Bubblewench DATE:Monday, August 18, 2008 at 6:41:00 AM EDT Well you could just toss the disco ball downstairs on top of the pile... ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Lost In Splendor DATE:Monday, August 18, 2008 at 12:25:00 PM EDT What is wrong with people? How can they possibly think this is going to help them sell a house. It's a bad market for good houses right now. Sigh. Hopefully your finding better prospects. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Becki DATE:Monday, August 18, 2008 at 2:43:00 PM EDT Wouldn't want to steal it away from you. Hahahaha.... ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) DATE:Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 5:34:00 PM EDT But were they piping in disco music throughout the house during the showing? Because that would rock.

When we bought our house eight years ago it had been reduced basically because the previous owners were slobs. The realtor told us she had to vacuum for them before she would show it!

Good luck with the house hunting. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous katy DATE:Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 6:54:00 PM EDT Piano lessons with a disco twist....you see a bad house, I see a new business adventure for you.
Those pictures from your last post can even make me start rethinking my decision to quit having children 18 years ago. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous @sweetbabboo DATE:Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 7:12:00 PM EDT You should totally be all over this house. I mean, think of the 70's themed parties you could have. They'd be awesome! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Anonymous DATE:Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 7:36:00 PM EDT Recently you were bemoaning the fact that people did not understand/appreciate you and you were upset.
Take a minute and think about this latest post. Why would you belittle someone who was merely trying to sell their home for the best price they could get? It is what it is. No judgement is necessary. If it's not for you, move on. Why would you think the world should/would conform to your standards(whatever they may be)?
In my life experience, I have seen that those who like to comment on other's lack of taste/inadequacies are the most insecure among us. Maybe it is time for you to reflect and really look at yourself. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Susie DATE:Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 2:05:00 PM EDT Dear Anonymous,
I think we have all watched enough HGTV to know that there is a certain amount of staging that happens when you try to sell a house. You do not post the most unattractive points and use those to show people what a fabulous home you have. If you are showing me only a picture of a birdhouse, I might wonder what is wrong with the actual house. How different would that house look if they cleared out the basement and took the picture of it clean and empty - we would say "Ooh, look at all that potential. What a great place for my disco ball." I don't think Canape was putting down the owners so much as the realtor's faulty marketing.
And when leaving a comment chastising for someone for making insensitive comments, why did you choose to do it anonymously? ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Anonymous DATE:Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 7:36:00 PM EDT Susie
I logged on as "anonymous" because it was the easiest/fastest way to comment on something I felt passionate about. My name is Christine and I have been a lurker on this blog for many months and hitherto have not been inspired to respond. I have been enjoying and loving Canape's motherhood experiences along with the rest of you.
I was not in chastisment mode when I posted my comment. I was trying to convey to Canape that when you demean others, you are doing it for your own self engrandisment - and that ends up to be a negative on many levels. Why do you need to put others down?
Easy answer - to make yourself feel superior.
To find happiness and peace, you need to let that go. It's not hard. It's NOT about what others are and what others HAVE - it's about YOU!
So someone has a disco ball - breathe and let it go. What do you know - maybe those people have 3 foster children to whom they have given a new life. Look beyond the disco ball - life is not superficial and material and ... taste.

I want this to be a positive not a punitive for Canape who has communicated that she is struggling with her self-worth. Christine (aka) anonymous ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Susie DATE:Friday, August 22, 2008 at 10:03:00 AM EDT Dear Christine (aka anonymous),
First let me say, I don't think you are wrong. I think you are absolutely right that when someone is putting someone else down, it is often from their own personal insecurities. And don't we all struggle with our own self-worth?
But was Canape being really all that demeaning? I guess I don't take it that seriously. And demeaning is a pretty strong word. In fact, that could have been my house in those pictures being made fun of - can you say "Harvest Gold?" Seriously, Canape would not want to buy my house.
And if this post was born from house-selling insecurities, you will see from her latest post that she wears those insecurities on her sleeve and is quite aware of it. There will be people who will walk through her home and poke fun and her decorating choices. No doubt.
Thank you for answering my comment and delurking/decloaking. It is brave of you to do so and it's way easier to have a discussion with someone when you know their name. If you may email me if you would like to continue our discussion. If not, then we can leave it here and respectfully agree to disagree.
Thanks again,
Susie ----- --------