AUTHOR: Marty, a.k.a. canape TITLE: Little Bird's pajama drawer DATE: 6/29/2009 10:22:00 PM ----- BODY:
I like for my drawers to be neat. I like for clothes to be put in the exact same place every time. I like to fold my underwear. I like to organize my t-shirts by color, size, and softness. I like to fold my socks into neat little tubes that you stick directly onto your foot and unfold as you put it on.

At least I used to like all these things. I've been freed a little.

I still insist on folding my t-shirts all the same way. All the towels are folded in half, in half again, and then into thirds.

Kevin has freed me from the sock and underwear compulsiveness. I now toss my socks in one drawer and my panties in another - all wadded up.

It's liberating.

This sense of freedom has not found it's way into Little Bird's room. It's the only room in the house that stays compulsively neat these days. Until the construction is finished at our home, I've resigned myself to live in a bit of a mess, but Bird's room, it stays clean.

And his clothes stay organized and neat.

At least they used to. Before Bird decided that he wanted to "help Mama."

Little Bird likes to help put away his pajamas. He doesn't just like to help, he insists upon it.

And so his pajama drawer belongs to him completely. He has even figured out that he has to put both hands in and stir them up good so that the drawer will close. It's hard for me to close that drawer with those pajamas all twisted and the tops and bottoms scattered amongst each other. But he wants to do it himself, and I want him to learn.

My way is not necessarily the right way. Little Bird is his own little person with his own little messy pajama drawer.

I couldn't be more proud.

Labels:

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous myrelish DATE:Tuesday, June 30, 2009 at 8:18:00 AM EDT Hooray - someone else who knows how to fold towels! It is one little area that I attempt to keep ordered in a world of chaos. I wish my little helpers were still helpful, now they are more likely to toss their clothes on the floor and then climb all over them. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Bubblewench DATE:Tuesday, June 30, 2009 at 8:50:00 AM EDT That is so cute that he likes to help in his own special way.

You'd hate me. I'm a stuffer. I don't even have any bureau's or drawers of any kind.

I DO fold socks and underwear though. :) ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous wildwesthome DATE:Tuesday, June 30, 2009 at 9:04:00 AM EDT I have such fond memories of little laundry helpers! I remember making little crayon and marker picture labels (that I laminated with scotch tape) to help him know what drawer held what. So glad you're relishing - and relinquishing - these moments ;) ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Magpie DATE:Tuesday, June 30, 2009 at 2:11:00 PM EDT i love that he wants to help, and that you let him do it his way. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous @sweetbabboo DATE:Tuesday, June 30, 2009 at 11:27:00 PM EDT Oh yes, the toddler need to help. Ain't it fun? :)

Linus loves to "help" me put his clothes away. Some days patient mommy is happy for the help. Other days cranky mommy would just like to get it done.

Good for you for being patient mommy.

-Abby ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Jen DATE:Wednesday, July 1, 2009 at 12:34:00 PM EDT Thirds last? I'm not at all neat...but the thirds come first, so that you can hang them up all neatly after you take them out of the pile in the closet. Thirds last? How do you hang them up?! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Anonymous DATE:Saturday, November 21, 2009 at 10:10:00 PM EST It is rather interesting for me to read that blog. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon. ----- --------