AUTHOR: Marty, a.k.a. canape TITLE: Was there a time you weren't here? DATE: 7/26/2008 10:37:00 PM ----- BODY:
Six months. I feel as though we can finally do a little celebrating.

Nothing has been easy since Little Bird came to town. The first two months of his life were agonizing for me. I thought I had made a terrible mistake in becoming a mother. I couldn't feed him like I should. I couldn't get him to sleep like I should. I was bound to the house as though an ankle bracelet was hidden just under my sock.

Last week, he and I traveled across the country together. Just the two of us through airports and on planes.

That's saying a lot for someone who let a friend come over one day just to let the dogs out into the backyard. Because I could not leave my room. The walls would have crumbled in on me and the floors collapsed had I left my room with the baby.

But now we are mobile. Slings and Mei Tai and a Moby. We travel. We shop. We play. We walk. We sing. We dance.

We.

I am no longer just I.

There is me, and I am still her, but there is us.

A family.

I've always wanted a family.

Little Bird. Christopher. Mr. Kickypants.

Thank you for coming into my life. Thank you for being my son.

I'm sorry that I fed you apples and filmed it for the world to see. That will happen though, you providing entertainment. You were so cute in your disgust; I just had to share.

Labels: , ,

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Magpie DATE:Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 11:31:00 PM EDT was that his first solid food? if so, i'm amazed at how much went down!

awfully cute.

it is hard to remember having no child. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous slouchy DATE:Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 11:36:00 PM EDT magpie's right. if that was his first solid food, he is going to be an eating CHAMP.

adorable! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous toddlerplanet DATE:Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 12:30:00 AM EDT There you go. It does get better. I'm glad you've made it to that place now.

Of course, it gets harder again, but then it gets better again. And we're all out here cheering you on. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Two Lines On a Stick DATE:Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 1:04:00 AM EDT He's so cute. I loved watching that video. It reminds me of one we took of Bailey eating pureed corn, which she hated but kept opening her mouth for. They'll forgive us, right? ;) ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous slackermommy DATE:Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 11:05:00 AM EDT You've come a long way because you are now an awesome mom. Those first few months are so rough. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Lizarita DATE:Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 1:49:00 PM EDT OH! That was so freakin funny!! He's adorable. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Stimey DATE:Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 3:20:00 PM EDT Oh, the full body shake every time he ate a spoonful. Hilarious. Sorry for laughing at you, buddy. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Jenn DATE:Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 3:29:00 PM EDT Mmm...got to love those "systemic" reactions! He's a cutie pie!

He's such a trooper to keep going for more. Sweetpea? You get one spoon in and the mouth clamps shut. Game over. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous No Minimom DATE:Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 6:42:00 PM EDT LMAO! So adorable! Can't wait to get to this stage with my Boo. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Daily Verses DATE:Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 10:34:00 PM EDT I can really really relate to those agonizing first few months. My 2nd baby was like that. So hard. But the good months that follow more than make up for it. :-) ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous @sweetbabboo DATE:Monday, July 28, 2008 at 3:47:00 PM EDT This is a really touching post. I remember the fear of leaving the house... actually I still feel it most days. I also remember feeling like I had made a mistake, but a mistake I wouldn't change for all the money in the world (at least most days).

Your baby is a lucky boy. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Susie DATE:Monday, July 28, 2008 at 4:59:00 PM EDT Oh my gosh - the way he keeps opening his mouth hoping the next bite will taste better! Too cute!

And I still have days where I am afraid to leave the house. Yesterday was one of them ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous TheMusingMommy DATE:Monday, July 28, 2008 at 5:59:00 PM EDT How funny! And cute! What a good eater, though! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Lawyer Mama DATE:Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 9:45:00 AM EDT That is just ADORABLE! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous andi DATE:Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 11:17:00 PM EDT Aw, Mr. Kickypants. So, so cute. ----- --------