AUTHOR: Marty, a.k.a. canape TITLE: Before I was a mother DATE: 7/29/2008 08:56:00 AM ----- BODY:
Christopher had his six month well baby check yesterday. He weighs 18 pounds, 13 ounces and is 28 inches long. He is a healthy happy baby.

I wrote about our visit on Deep South Moms.


"How do I read this again?"

The nurse at our pediatrician's office had turned away from the scale where my naked son lay to ask someone at the desk behind her how to figure out his weight. It wasn't a fancy scale. Just a normal move the weights into balance scale.

I flinched a little at her ignorance.

You can read the rest of the story here.

Labels: , ,

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous pastormargaret DATE:Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 1:01:00 PM EDT Your blog reminded me of different times I've practiced something and the first time I did something for real. There was practice teaching--I'll tell you about that sometime. There were practice meals y'all dutifully ate. The first memorial service I led was for a young mother who committed suicide. I knew neither her nor the family who asked me to do the service. I wished I could have practiced that! Then there was the first wedding when I asked who gave "this man to be married to this woman." It sort of lightened up the wedding party. Once I forgot the words to the Lord's Prayer and one particular woman reminds me of that to this day. Some goofs are laughable, some are embarassing, but I want no goofs when medical things are concerned. I want someone who knows how to give shots or draw blood, especially with my veins. Practice on an orange, not on me or my grandchild! Perhaps you might suggest that students could ask their questions out of earshot of the parent or other patient. You don't need to know what they are trying to learn at that moment. Keep on being protective. It makes good sense. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous katy DATE:Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 5:07:00 PM EDT I would have done the same thing. The hospital we go to is a teaching hospital and I had a doctor in training when I had my son. It caused me many hours of extra pain because I wasn't brave enough to speak up. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Becki DATE:Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 9:25:00 PM EDT Oh my gosh! The nurse at Maggie's appointment yesterday couldn't figure out the scale either. I don't get it :( ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Susie DATE:Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at 11:46:00 AM EDT I understand what you mean. I've been on both sides of the patient bed. When I worked at the hospital, a major teaching institution, I assisted in the ER for a spinal tap of a 6 week old baby. I was the baby's comforting force while the resident and the fellow prepared for the tap. The suddenly, the resident looked at the fellow and mentioned that the med. student hadn't done a tap yet. So they brought her in to do her first tap. I wasn't a mom yet at the time, but I knew if I were that baby's mom, I'd freak out. The med student did a great job, got it on the first try with a steady hand despite her nervousness. But the mom was never consulted, and probably never knew that a student had done the job. Scenes like this taught me how to be an advocate for my own kids. I like when I am asked if a student is OK - and I consent depending on the situation. But not on my kids. And not with needles. You go Mom! ----- --------