AUTHOR: Marty, a.k.a. canape TITLE: Certainly not an ad for SanDisk memory cards being that they are complete pieces of crap apparently DATE: 1/09/2008 10:43:00 PM ----- BODY:
Guy and I had some pictures done in mid December. Couple shots and maternity shots. We didn't have a wedding, so there are no wedding pictures. We wanted some good pictures, so we hired this guy to take some.

It was a gamble. His work is really quite good, but he had never done maternity shots before. We didn't want the heart around the belly button shot anyway, so we opted to go with him for his portraiture.

When he asked if we needed the pictures before the holidays, we said "no." What I didn't figure into that was him waiting until now to actually take said pictures off the memory card and try to load them.

Email tonight said this:

"I'm afraid I've got some bad news about the photos..."

They are ruined. Something about the memory card and noise and whatnot. There are no pictures. He wants to come and reshoot them this weekend.

Here's where the not hiring a maternity photographer is coming back to bite me in my ever expanding ass. There is a HUGE difference between a 34 week pregnant woman and a 38 week pregnant woman. I am enormous. Shirts don't cover my belly. My face is starting to swell. I don't glow anymore, I just flat out sweat. I'm no longer in the mood to cuddle up to Guy and smile for a camera.

And by the time I am in that mood again? I won't be pregnant anymore, and I will have missed my chance at having maternity shots of this pregnancy with Little Bird.

My friends have told me tonight to let him come back. Get the pictures. That I will regret it if I don't. I know they are right. But something just doesn't feel authentic about it.

It was such a good day. We had just brought Gibson home. The house was all decorated for Christmas. Guy and I had snuggled in that morning and skipped church to get ready for the photographer. The light was right. The mood was light.

I just don't know that it can be recreated. I certainly don't trust him anymore.

He should have checked those pictures that day. Even if he didn't clean them up and get them to me until now, that would have been fine. But he should have checked them that very day. Stuff happens. Things break. Equipment malfunctions. Fine. But to have waited this long to find out? For all he knows, I've already had this baby. I should email him and tell him I have and see what he says.

I've at least decided not to email him back tonight. I tried, but I couldn't keep myself from typing things that I shouldn't say. Especially if I decide to have him come back. Having him come back after calling him all sorts of adjectives that might come before moron probably isn't a great idea.

Labels: , , ,

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Lisa DATE:Wednesday, January 9, 2008 at 11:10:00 PM EST I am so sorry the pics didn't turn out. That sucks.

I have an idea for Susan but don't have your e-mail. Can you e-mail me at motherofbun@yahoo.com Want to run it past you... ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Stimey DATE:Wednesday, January 9, 2008 at 11:36:00 PM EST Oh I would be furious. There's no excuse for that. You go ahead and be nice to the guy and invite him back--or someone else. Us mommybloggers will be mad FOR you. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Michelle Lynn DATE:Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 8:03:00 AM EST Oh that SUCKS. Idiot photographer. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Stella DATE:Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 8:13:00 AM EST Oh, I am so sorry! That is very disappointing and you're so very right about the differences between 34 weeks and 38 weeks. But I bet you'd look great regardless!!
I also understand what you mean about waiting to type...I usually don't wait and everything comes out! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous eliz the sil DATE:Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 9:27:00 AM EST Man that totally sucks. I wish fertile mertile/girl could fly to NC to take your pics!! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Paige Jennifer DATE:Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 10:46:00 AM EST Yeah it sucks but come on now, you're still a hot mama to be (insert sizzling noises here).

Have him come back and if you want to show your dissatisfaction let the pregnancy induced farting run rampant. I had to evacuate a Kroger when my then prego sister let a squeaker rip in the cereal aisle. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Space Mom DATE:Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 10:55:00 AM EST I would certainly demand he come back. Take the photos you can. And ensure that he checks them that day!


SanDisk is normally extremely good. Are you sure that he didn't delete them by mistake and tell you that the card was bad? I have NEVER had a bad SanDisk and I've used tons.... ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Candygirlflies DATE:Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 1:38:00 PM EST Oh, that stinks. Absolutely.

Happened to the girlies and me, too, this Christmas... I have to book our annual photo shoot no later than September if I want to get them done in time to include them with the Christmas cards... And, of COURSE, we had just finished having our entire family sick with the stomach flu by the time the date actually arrived. We dragged ourselves to the studio, all dressed up, hair done (try THAT with three green-ish, grouchy, worn out little girls) and completed a fairly successful shoot...

Only to discover that ALL THE PHOTOS WERE RUINED, because the camera had been "on the wrong setting" the whole time. We had to re-sit, and then the SECOND batch all turned out to be badly over-exposed, too...

I had HAD IT with the portrait studio, but they gave me all my money back, and a brand new set of properly-developed photos.

I won't go back, but at least we got the pictures in time, and they didn't turn out too badly, at that!! My gentle suggestion to you is to get your photos re-done, too... because you will LOVE having them, once it's all over.

Good luck, sweetie...

xo CGF ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous TinaGirl DATE:Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 1:59:00 PM EST as a photographer and a mommy I am appalled that he would wait this long to get back to you. I would never leave my clients hanging then try to explain how my equipment failed. He should not only ratake them (because I never had beautiful preggo pictures of my boys) but should also give you a discount or some sort of reimbersment (extra pictures or a post baby session for free or something) to fix the problem. There will be no positive word of mouth advertising for this photographer no matter how good the portraits are, bad business is bad business.

http://mominfocus.blogspot.com/ ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous No Minimom DATE:Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 2:39:00 PM EST You should definitely demand (if he doesn't offer) a significant discount or even a refund for this behavior. To wait an entire MONTH to just look at the pictures? That's ridiculous and a terrible business practice. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Cathy DATE:Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 5:48:00 PM EST I vote for doing it again, only maybe with a different photographer.

My husband took a black-and-white of me when I was 35 or 36 weeks. (Daughter was born at 37.)

I'm puffy and huge and clearly uncomfortable. But I do cherish the photo. It's framed and hanging in our bedroom and my daughter loves to see the evidence of her pre-birth existence.

I'm so sorry the first ones didn't work out. He should have gotten those off his memory card immediately. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Heather L. DATE:Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 6:44:00 PM EST I hope you get you got your pictures done right this time! I would be mad too if that happened to me. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous labugga DATE:Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 8:56:00 PM EST Oh my.

I'm so sorry--I want to drive down their and beat him up. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Bubblewench DATE:Friday, January 11, 2008 at 6:30:00 AM EST I'm sorry that happened. I'd be pretty raging myself... Maybe someone else this time instead? ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Slackermommy DATE:Friday, January 11, 2008 at 2:29:00 PM EST What exactly is wrong with the photos? If he can't retrieve them from the memory card there is a software that can retrieve them. I thought I had a bad memory card and my photos were lost but I was able to retrieve them.

I totally understand your disappointment. I had photos done with all mine and I treasure them. I also did a belly cast with my last pregnancy. Very cool. At the time I did it I didn't think I would love having it as much as I do now.

14 days! I'm so excited for you! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Laura McIntyre DATE:Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 2:27:00 AM EST Thats terrible, how unproffesional. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous katy DATE:Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 12:54:00 PM EST I have 2 new sandisk memory cards and one of them shows everything in some weird writing on it now. Everytime I put it in the computer it tells me something is corrupt. I was able to get the pictures off of it but it took a lot of patience and work. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Clifford DATE:Monday, January 14, 2008 at 1:35:00 AM EST Y'all go easy on the sacrificial lamb aka photographer. Even the best equipment fails from time to time. Sandisk is normally good stuff. Moisture, finger oil, and static will kill any flash media if applied at the right time.

Perhaps he should have transferred them to his laptop before departing the premises, though. All media needs to be backed up, even flash.

(and Canape...girlfriend, if you have any amount of baby pics on a computer somewhere, do yourself a favor and invest $150 in an external backup drive. either that or burn to CD/DVD often. best advice an IT guy could give you. one of our dev guys just got married, and he had all his wedding pictures on his laptop. laptop HD dies. no backups. ouch.) ----- --------