AUTHOR: Marty, a.k.a. canape TITLE: And you will be happy to know DATE: 12/19/2007 10:36:00 PM ----- BODY:
Guy and I met with a doula tonight. Our childbirth instructor recommended her, and we like her very much. She will be working with us in, oh say, about a month. Egad.

Whymommy asked about our plans. I can't remember the specific question and am far too lazy to go back and look it up, so I'll answer what I think the question was. She puts up with me that way.

Plan #1: Have baby.

Everything else is negotiable.

Of course there is a plan though. Things that we would like to have happen. I understand that you don't have complete control of the situation and the main thing is to have a healthy baby. Right on. I'm just answering a question of what the plan is though, so grain of salt please. We know that it may not go like this, and that will be okay too.

We want to labor at home for as long as possible. The hospital isn't that far away and if I can avoid going in too early, then a lot of the other things I would like to avoid will be obsolete by then.

I don't want an IV or a hospital gown. The IV is not hospital procedure, so I've got back up there, even though our doula said that she has never had a mother at our hospital avoid getting one. I will settle for a hep-loc, I think they are called, as long as they don't put it in my hand.

Laboring in a hospital gown doesn't appeal to me at all. I would like one of my standard camis please. That will be plenty. Again, if I stay home long enough, then I probably won't give a hoot about a gown or no gown by the time we get there. But the girls? They need their support.

I want the option of laboring and giving birth in whatever position works for me. And I don't want the nurses coaching me on pushing and cheering me on. I want to push in my own time and my own rhythm.

When Bird finally makes his appearance, I want him to come straight to me. They can clean him up and check him out right on my chest. The first thing though, is to get him skin to skin and then get to the breastfeeding. Our doula also said that the nurses at this hospital usually try to get you to wait until you are in your postpartum room until breastfeeding. Not sure about the logic of that.

Working towards no drugs. That's the plan.

Want to bring home a healthy and happy Bird. That's the goal.

So whatever. We've prepared as best we can for an experience that we would like to have. I feel like that is the best we can do. And I like doing our best. And planning. I'm a planner.

Except for Guy. He was pure luck. Really good luck.

Labels: , ,

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Anth DATE:Thursday, December 20, 2007 at 1:48:00 AM EST That sounds like a great plan. :) ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Stella DATE:Thursday, December 20, 2007 at 8:21:00 AM EST It sounds like you guys have a VERY realistic plan! Seriously! If you make it clear to the nurses what you want, as long as Bird is ok- which he will be, they will follow it. He is your baby and this is your birth- you guys are in charge...well Bird is really in charge but you get what I mean!
Sending you lots of great labor vibes!! (Not soon...but sooner than later!) ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Steph DATE:Thursday, December 20, 2007 at 9:36:00 AM EST Im glad you met with the doula. I wish Id had one with Liv. She'll help make sure things go the way you planned. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Jessica DATE:Thursday, December 20, 2007 at 10:15:00 AM EST If you need any help, suggestions, any other help with the birth plans, please let me know. I'm always here and always willing to help. :) ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Travis Erwin DATE:Thursday, December 20, 2007 at 11:17:00 AM EST I wish you all the luck. I have two wonderful boys, age 5 and 7. I love them to pieces, but being in the delivery room for both still ranks as my all time most stressful moment.

But they were well worth it. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Jennifer, Playgroups Are No Place For Children DATE:Thursday, December 20, 2007 at 2:06:00 PM EST oooh, I'm so excited for you guys! I can't wait to hear all about it! It's not long now... ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Oh, The Joys DATE:Thursday, December 20, 2007 at 2:45:00 PM EST Best birth plan EVER. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Michelle Lynn DATE:Thursday, December 20, 2007 at 3:04:00 PM EST Good luck! You don't want the heplock in your wrist either. Trust me. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous labugga DATE:Thursday, December 20, 2007 at 8:45:00 PM EST Sounds like an awesome plan. My fingers are crossed that it's all you want it to be. I cannot wait to meet this boy!! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous katy DATE:Thursday, December 20, 2007 at 9:54:00 PM EST I labored at home with my first for about 8 hours and then dropped by my doctors office because my mom was bugging me to do it. They told me to go straight to the hospital and not even to go home and get my suitcase because I was dialated to 3. I kept telling my husband I didn't think I needed to go but we did because I was young and didn't realize I had choices. The next 12 hours at the hospital were miserable and full of me being scared and in pain. I wish I had the maturity at the time to do things the way I wanted.... ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Andria DATE:Thursday, December 20, 2007 at 10:58:00 PM EST Hooray! That is so strange that they won't let you nurse in the L&D room... with both of mine (in different cities) I nursed them when they were 20 minutes old. I can't believe you are so close!!! Time is just flying by!!! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Space Mom DATE:Friday, December 21, 2007 at 3:39:00 PM EST Always have a plan to deviate from!

Also odd about the nursing thing. I nursed my first after she was cleaned and measured.

My second was whisked up to NICU, but I also wasn't breastfeeding her.

The goal should always be for a healthy child! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Anonymous DATE:Friday, December 21, 2007 at 7:41:00 PM EST Hi honey, I just want you to know I have been thinking of you often and haven't forgot about you. I hardly have a moment of "online" time, but do check e-mail when I have the chance, so write me if you want :) I miss you and your infanite wisdom. I wish you much happiness in the days to come and can't wait to hear about your experience bringing Bird into this world!! Take care hon!

Luanne ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Becki DATE:Saturday, December 22, 2007 at 4:46:00 PM EST Love the plan - hope it all works out for you :) Having a doula should be a big help. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Anonymous Bubblewench DATE:Sunday, December 23, 2007 at 9:07:00 AM EST Great plan! Good luck. ----- --------